Friday, January 13, 2012

cries for help! The child needs an exorcist!

 My daughter is about to be three and she knows it. My quirky, sweet angel turned into the devil over night. She fights with her sister non-stop, she hits or scratches her when she gets mad. Right now we use time out, but she screams the whole time and when she is done she goes and repeats the same crime she was just punished for. She screams over toys, food, anything she wants but doesn't get. When she hears NO, she thinks that means keep asking very loudly. It sounds like an angry growl...PLEEEEAAASSEE! If I knew any good priest I'd consider an exorcism. But the truth is, it's my fault, I have slacked off big time. I am at a loss as what other discipline techniques to use. It's been three years since I've had a three year old. What is a mom to do?  In times like this when my parental confidence is shot and I don't move forward in fear of making it worse, I turn to my moms group. I am so lucky to have this group. I went right to that message board and poured my heart out about my possessed child (cleverly written with a little humor to hide my insecurities about sharing my failed parenting techniques), that I love dearly but want to strangle most days. My husband wonders why I ask the opinions of others when I am the best expert on my own child. But the truth is I am not looking for a quick fixes, I need a ego boost. My fellow moms give great suggestions and example of their own techniques. I often use these techniques and try something new. But the best thing I get from my moms group is the feeling that I am not the only one! It's good to know 12 other moms have screaming demon children too! I also love the encouraging words. It's amazing how reading a few words written by someone else can totally change your whole attitude and give you the confidence to get back in the ring and tackle those stubborn preschooler attitudes.

 If anyone needs a support group it's the stay-at-home mom, but all moms could use a group to be a part of. These groups are so easy to find. I found mine on Meetup.com. But many groups can be found at local churches where they have MOP's ( moms of preschoolers) or MMO's (Moms morning out). The groups are what you make of it. Some groups are based on meeting regularly once a week where childcare is provided, then the moms get together to visit and do activities, or listen to speakers. Others include hosting events or play dates. Some of the events are just for the moms, where some include playtime for the kids. Most have a location where moms can post messages and connect with other moms online. My cry for help on my mom group message board was a way for me to connect and feel less lost when I needed it most. Parenting is hard, no doubt about it, but my moms group has helped me feel part of something special and when I feel confident in my parenting my kids get better mom and the idea of resorting to exorcism are less frequent!

No comments:

Post a Comment