Friday, January 13, 2012

painted canvas crafts!

So let's be honest, this christmas was a tight one! I made a quite a few gifts, including some painted canvas. The zebra stripe was one of my favorite and was so easy. Just take masking tape and rip it into strips and place on the canvas. Then paint over with the color of choice. Peel off to see your zebra effect. I made this one pink and black for my niece's room. To get the black stripes paint the canvas black first and let dry, then apply stripes and paint your non-stripe color again!



Stretch canvas is pretty cheap. I got it on sale for 2- 8x10's for $4.00. I decided I wanted to paint a butterfly for my Stepmom. After picking my colors for the wings, body and background I got started. First I found a photo of a butterfly on the web to be my inspiration. For the background painted a dark brown. Then I lightly went over it with black and cream to give it texture. I did in a sweeping fashion so that I could see the strokes.  Then I blended it all with the dark brown again. Kind of like blending your eye makeup. Next I did an outline of the butterfly. Once I had the shape I wanted I painted the wing is with arching strokes using light blue, dark blue, black and cream. I really just kept layering it until I liked it. Lastly I used black for the butterfly's body. I tried to use stroke that made the curves of the body. And Voila I painted a butterfly. It was my first real attempt at a painting and I was pretty please.



An easy way to paint canvas without having having to really paint is using Painters tape. I made these wall pieces by taping off lines on the canvas and them painting the spaces in between. I made this one for my living room. But if you found out which colors your recipent uses in their house you could make them some great home decor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment